Exchange Management Console in Exchange 2010 is a GUI that allows the administrator to manage Exchange Server configurations. Also, it has an interesting feature, a wizard to export an Exchange mailbox data to another mailbox.
Export Exchange 2010 mailboxes using EMC
This section tells you about the pre-requirements for the migration:
- Need to install Exchange Server Management tools
- Need to install PowerShell 2.0
- Need to have permissions for mailbox export
To export mailboxes, the user account needs to have mailbox import and export permissions. You can grant the required permissions by executing the following command in Exchange Management Shell:
|New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “Mailbox Import Export” –User “<username>”|
Here, provide the Exchange Server username in <username>.
Also, you can assign permissions by creating an Active Directory Group first and then providing permissions to it. The users who need permissions can be added to this group. To assign permissions to a user group, run this command:
|New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “Mailbox Import Export” –Group “<usergroup>”|
Type the created Active Directory Group username in <usergroup>.
Export Exchange 2010 mailboxes
Once the account has given the permissions, it is ready to perform the migration. Follow the simple steps for exporting the mailboxes:
- Open the Exchange Management Console
- Expand to Microsoft Exchange On-premises>Recipient Configuration.
- Now click Mailbox.
- On the right-pane, select the mailboxes you want to export, right-click and then select Export Mailbox. The Export Mailbox wizard opens up.
- In the Introduction page, click Browse and provide the Target mailbox You can also provide the Target folder name into which all mailboxes data will be exported. Once all the details are given, click Next to continue.
- In the Conditions page, you have different options for your selected mailboxes. Choose the required options and click Next.
Note: If options remain unselected, the complete mailbox content will get migrated.
- The Export Options page provides you different export options like delete exported contents from the source, skip the mailbox, skip the corrupted messages, etc. After making the selection, click Next.
- Now, you will get the summary of the export process. Target mailbox location and name will be displayed. Confirm and click Export.
- Finally, a completion report will be displayed in the Completion page; click Finish.
An Alternate Method For Exporting Mailboxes
You may try Exchange Management Console to export Exchange 2010 mailboxes. Alternately, you can choose a simpler way – Kernel for Exchange Recovery. This EDB to PST tool is quicker, reliable and secure for the mailbox migration. Also, it has exclusive filters for selective migration
The article explains the use of Exchange Management Console in Exchange 2010 to export mailboxes. Also, it suggests a better alternative for the migration.