Exchange 2013 and Outlook SCP Issues. One of my specialties is migrating clients between various platforms. One of the main things we come across is when someone has an Exchange 2013 server onsite and then wishes to move across to another. In the previous platforms, we used to disable the “Autodiscover App Pool” in IIS but with Exchange 2013 it does not work. If you disable to the App Pool, you will not be able to authenticate.
We have found a remedy for this. There is a registry key entry which you can add to disable the “OutlookSCP“. For anyone who is not sure what is OutlookSCP. Let’s back track a little. When you open Outlook on your machine, it does an OutlookSCP ( Service Connection Point ) check. This checks your AD account to match the object reference. Then so on checking your AD to match the Exchange UPN etc.
This is the process which OutlookSCP checks are done:
- First -> SCP Lookup -> Fails
- Next -> https://<smtpdomain>/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml -> Fails
- Next -> https://autodiscover.<smtpdomain>/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml -> Fails
- Next -> http://autodiscover.<smtpdomain>/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml -> Fails
- Next -> SRV record query for _autodiscover._tcp.<smtpdomain> – Success
The registry entry is a single line. You then have to reboot the machine in order to take effect.
Here is the registry entry:
The location will depend on what version of Outlook you are running. the <16.0> is Outlook 2016.
15.0 = Outlook 2013, 14.0 = Outlook 2010, 12.0 = Outlook 2007 and so on.